Is eating fat always bad for your health? What is the difference between good and bad cholesterol?
There are many myths surrounding cholesterol and fats. Read this blog by Hamid, delve into cholesterol and draw your own conclusion!
What is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a natural substance that is made in your liver. It travels through your body in your blood and is also found in your cells. Cholesterol is important for your body's functions. You need the right amount of cholesterol to make hormones and digestive juices and to process vitamin D. Your liver makes about 75% of the cholesterol you need, and the other 25% comes from food you eat.
A blood test is the best way to measure cholesterol levels in your body. Here's what you need to know about cholesterol: the good and the bad....
A cholesterol blood test consists of several subparts.
One of them is total cholesterol. Your total cholesterol number is the combination of LDL, HDL and other lipids in your body. The total cholesterol number is a general guideline for your health.
LDL, known as 'bad' cholesterol, is the generic name for low density lipoprotein. It is considered unhealthy because too much of it can build up in your blood vessels. It then forms fatty deposits that are harmful to your health.
On the other hand, of course, we also have HDL, known as "good" cholesterol. This is the general name for high-density lipoprotein. HDL is considered healthy because it removes excess cholesterol from your blood vessels. It brings extra cholesterol back to your liver to be removed from the body.
You should also consider your triglyceride levels. Triglycerides are another form of lipids (fats) that are stored in your body to be used later for energy. A high level of triglycerides in the body can also put you at risk for coronary artery disease (a coronary artery disease).
What can you get from it?
It is important to watch your cholesterol levels. If your total cholesterol levels are too high, your blood vessels are at risk. If your LDL levels are too high and your HDL levels are too low, you are also at risk. If your blood vessels become clogged because of excess cholesterol, you may experience the following health problems:
- Chest Pain
- Reduced blood flow
- Heart attack
- Jaw pain
- Numbness in the legs
- Buildup of plaque
- Abdominal pain
These symptoms are the result of excessive clogging or hardening of your blood vessels by LDL cholesterol and preventing blood flow to important parts of the body.
What can you do about it?
If you have high cholesterol, you can do plenty yourself to solve the problem. Besides taking cholesterol-lowering drugs that your doctor may prescribe, you can also improve your lifestyle.
Here are some examples:
- Train every day
- Lose excess weight
- Stop smoking immediately
- Drink alcohol in moderation
- Cut out fast food from your diet
- Eat more fiber, including beans and oatmeal
- Eat more foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon and walnuts
- Add whey protein to yogurt and smoothies
- Reduce processed foods, such as cookies and crackers
When lifestyle changes and cholesterol-lowering medication do not help in the long run, further research can be done into other causes of high cholesterol. Think of a familial form of hypercholesterolemia.
Are you curious about your cholesterol level? Order your blood test here:
This test is also part of the check ups:
The National Health Check with Vitamin D3 and B12
Do you have any questions? Then feel free to mail me!
I wish you much wisdom and health,